Monday, October 28, 2013

the weekly juice

I dusted off my juicer! I didn't juice very much this summer--we ate fruit and veggies with almost every meal (and snack) all summer.....and I never really felt the desire to juice.
Have you noticed lately that there is all this
"Juicing VS Blending" 
stuff floating around the internet?
People taking sides and battling out which is better.....it gets heated, let me tell you. 
What a dumb thing to argue about!
Juice sometimes. Blend sometimes. 
Do both. Don't do either. 
Who cares.
Don't waste your time choosing sides and stressing about which you should do.
We make smoothies--which we always enjoy--but I still love a tall glass of strong juice. 

I was so excited to see cranberries in the store. 
Cranberries are LOADED with antioxidants, which our bodies need....but they are so tart there aren't a lot of ways to incorporate cranberries into your diet without adding a ton of sugar. 
By adding them to juice with naturally sweet fruits and veggies, you can get the benefits of the cranberries without adding table sugar
(or high fructose corn syrup like many store bought cranberry juices).
  www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Loaded Cranberry Juice
2 cups of cranberries
1 apple
1 carrot
1 piece of beet (I love beet juice, so for me--the bigger the beet, the better)
1" piece of ginger. When I first started juicing, I added tiny bits of ginger--it's makes your juice pretty strong and "spicy" as my kids call it. I am now adding quite a bit more than I used to--I love the kick it gives to the juice, and ginger is so good for your body during this cold season.
bonus: I stirred in a spoonful of chia seeds before I drank my juice (benefits of chia HERE)
bonus: I saved the cranberry, carrot, and apple pulp to add to muffins or oatmeal. 
bonus: I have yet to find a good use for beet pulp.......so my chickens got that.

What are you juicing these days?

more juice!

blogged 1 year ago: creamy veggie lasagna 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Not that I want to deprive your chooks, but you could use the beet pulp in a beetroot risotto... A bit of improvisation required, but would taste amazing!

Sini @ my blue and white kitchen said...

Wow! Look at that bright red color! I love it.

Paige Holley said...

My favorite juice right now is: 1 green apple, 1-2 carrots, 1 peeled lime, 1-2 kale leaves, 1-2 stalks of celery, 1" ginger. It is so so tasty!

summer said...

No way! This is perf. We JUST put the juicer back on the counter last night. Ours was mostly green stuff yesterday, plus a splash of lemon and an apple. I'm anxious to try some cranberries- such a great idea! And cannot wait for citrus season to come soon :)

Sonja {Dagmars Kitchen} said...

I seem to juice just about the same stuff these days ;-) A lot of beets, apples, ginger, lemons and also celery. Your juice looks wonderful!