Friday, October 18, 2013

friday senses

It's Friday!
Here's a peek at our week.
seeing: the colors are slowly fading out. lots of yellow still here in the valley, but the mountains are browning and the aspens are bare.....winter is coming soon to the mountain tops!
feeling: it was 19° when I woke up this morning. 19°!! That's cold! 
Flannel sheets, flannel shirts, and cozy slippers 24/7. 
thanking: all of you ladies who came out last week to say hello to Whitney and I, and celebrate our book! We loved meeting you, and may be doing it again next month--will you join us?
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
loving: reading about where YOUR place is after my desert post. I tell my kids all the time that we know God loves us because he made the Earth so beautiful for us to explore. I love that every corner of this world is different and I love that we can each find our own special place....made just for us!
 Listen to all these favorites listed yesterday: the ocean, the mountains, the forest, the river, the Pacific Northwest, Iceland, Greek Islands, Lake Powell, Michigan, the garden, Appalachia, Manhattan, the Wind River Range, the coast of Spain.....so many wonderful places (and now I want to visit them all). Go read everyone's comments!

reminding: October is breast cancer awareness month. Girls--make sure you are checking yourself at home and PLEASE oh please get to your Dr. every year. I just had my check up--it's not scary at all--promise-- so make sure you are taking care of yourself.....GO!


daydreaming: about camping last weekend with these two little mummies. can't wait to get out again.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
feeling inspired:  I saw this video two weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it. I feel like I'm a pretty active person and it made me feel lazy. We all have too many excuses......but life is more fun when you MOVE. Watch the quick video from Arc'teryx HERE (well worth your 3 minutes!)
running: in the cold! I LOVE running in cold temps.
I started this run at 26° and I love the burn in my lungs and the frost on my skin.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
remembering: when Robby called from work last week and told me to get my bike ready.....we were going for a ride. Speeding down the hill through aspens, mud, and snow.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
proud mama-ing: He begged and begged and begged to take a  picture of Delicate Arch. And then when the light changed he asked to take another. love him.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
making: Hootenannies!
Every April and October our church has General Conference. We stay home on Sunday and wear our most comfy jammies (pjs not required, but highly recommended if you ask me) and listen to our church leaders speak. (THIS talk was one of my favorites this time)

One of our favorite conference breakfasts is hootenannies.
(other people call them different things......puffy pancakes maybe?
I have no idea where hootenanny comes from.....but it sure is fun to say)
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
Hootenannies 
9 eggs
1 1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt

Add ingredients to blender and let-er-rip, until well blended.

In an oven pre-heated to 425°, melt 2TBS butter in a 9x13 pan
When butter covers pan, add mixture and bake for 20 minutes. 
Your hootenannies will rise up and reach for the top of the oven....so put them on the bottom rack.

We topped ours with maple syrup, the last (insert tears here) of our summer peaches and raspberries, and homemade whipped cream (add a pinch of cinnamon to your whip cream!)
enjoy!

feel free to play along with Friday Senses on your own blog or in the comments

Happy Weekend!
let's see your #howweweekend on Instagram!

8 comments:

summer said...

Such a beautiful and fun week!! That hootenanny photo is GORGEOUS.

Jackie said...

Thanks for the video recommendation! I've watched it twice. ;) I love running in the cold, it is so refreshing! Do you have any more recommendations on running tights besides the Patagonia ones? Winter will be coming :)

Romney Family said...

I love that you call them hootenannies because growing up we did too!! Maybe it was a MT thing because when I told my husband long ago that is what they were called he laughed out loud at me and and said no those are german pancakes!!!

Jeana said...

I loved that conference talk. I hope to make it to your next book signing, sad to have missed the last one.

melissa said...

we call em dutch babies, which is maybe almost as fun as hootenanies when they're pronounced "dunch" babies.

Kimber said...

love your friday senses!

Zikira said...

I also received socks, clothing etc... not anything that is bushcraft/wilderness survival/camping or otherwise related items. I will post my survival pack and the items I do carry with me in a later post and also any new items that I might come across.

Fire Restoration Sandy Hills said...

Loveed reading this thanks