Wednesday, September 5, 2012

she

she has been waiting. 
and waiting and waiting. 
for her turn. 
she has been asking, over and over,
how many more days?
she has picked out all her own clothes
(tried them on a million times).
had to start out the year with the leopard shoes. 
(of course).
kindergarten. 
(tears)
mine....not hers. 
oh no--she was ready. 
we spent the morning at home, quiet. 
how many more hours?
how many more minutes?
she was ready.....
....very early. 
she paced. read. 
ate lunch. 
she requested 
"turkey and cheese sandwich and chocolate milk and LOTS of pickles"
"how about three"
"ok".
she played quietly. 
"how many more minutes"
right before it was time to leave,
I checked in her room.....
.....found her face first asleep on her bed. 
all that excitement can wear a little girl out. 
she woke right up, grabbed her backpack 
(it's as big as her)
and skipped to the car. 
at the school she gave me the tightest squeeze,
OFF she went without hesitation.
I wiped my tears from underneath my sunglasses
(thank goodness for sunglasses!)
she turned and waved and smiled the biggest smile. 
there she went.
www.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.comwww.inthelittleredhouse.blogspot.com
I had documented her getting ready in the morning (just like the boy's post) and I was so very sad to find that my CF card bit the dust and my photos of her were gone. I decided that over the next week or so I will document some of our mornings at the house....I look forward to the project:)

crossed eyes, hand on hip, and scraped up legs....
.....my favorite.

first year of preschool here

12 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

That's the sassiest, most self-confident kindergartner I've ever seen, congrats to you both!

Claire said...

Ah! I grinned right through this first-day-of-kindergarten story. And giggled at the part about her falling asleep face-first in her bed. What a cool mama you are! A cool mama of a grown-up little girl. The both of you are so cute. Happy school!

Anonymous said...

Perfectly lovely - sums up the excitement and anticipation that strikes us all (no matter what age) when starting a new adventure...

AllAmericanGrl said...

she is sooo pretty! cracks me up though - that she is wearing stripes for her kindergarten and preschool picture, as well as similar pose with hands in the pocket!

Anna said...

Awww what a cutie! This post made me smile. Congrats, mama :)

Sarah Kriner said...

This is beyond adorable.

Courtney said...

She is such a cutie! I hope my children are just as excited for school I sure wasn't.

Aunt B said...

Sweet post. Thank you for sharing it.

kassidi bridge said...

She is the sweetest!

Rachelle said...

first, she's perfect.

second, i know! i just know! i cried under my sunglasses this morning and couldn't get to my car fast enough.

this sucks. but for them, it's awesome.

Unknown said...

She is adorable! Love the shoes ;)

Chelsea Malan said...

how to you get your children to be so photogenic in pictures? :)