Wednesday, June 20, 2012

a thank you, an apology, and an ice cream pie

First: a thank you
Thank you to all (so many! wow!) of you that took the quick minute to fill out the survey I posted. 
(miss it? it's still available HERE)
It was very helpful to me--I just want to make sure that what I'm posting here is relevant to at least someone out there. 
And THANK YOU!!!! for those who left such sweet comments as well, I really, truly appreciate it. 
Next: an apology
why you ask?
because the recipe I am about to post is like eating a big giant piece of......I don't know...... death.
or something similar.
It will kill you I tell you! 
There is nothing I love more than spending an afternoon making a dessert.....and you know I like cake. 
But Father's Day had a temperature climbing higher and higher and closer to 100°, and there was no way I was going to turn on the oven.
I was glad I remembered this recipe--we used to have all the time when we lived in California near Robby's family. Someone was always making it, and the rest of us were always devouring it.
It is incredibly easy, quick to put together, (little hands-on time, just some freezing time) and will always be a hit, I guarantee it. 
warning: I recommend that you make this when you can take it somewhere and leave it. 
Otherwise it will sit in your freezer, tempting you every time you open the door.

I had about 1.5 seconds to steal a picture of this.....it was melting like crazy.....
but you get the idea.
.
and now, drumroll: the ice cream pie
Hot Fudge and Ice Cream Pie
this can be doubled an made in a 9x13 pan

CRUST 
one 18oz package of your favorite chocolate sandwich cookies (about 35-40 cookies)
1 stick (8TBS) butter, melted 
crush cookies (I used the food processor), add melted butter, and press into bottom of a round cake pan and freeze for about an hour. (this can be halved for a thinner crust)

 HOT FUDGE SAUCE 
3oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
4TBS butter 
1 cup evaporated milk
 1c powder sugar 
Mix over medium high heat and boil for 8 minutes (stirring constantly) 
Remove from heat and add 1t vanilla 

ICE CREAM
I used butter pecan, and it went so very well with the fudge sauce.
But you can really use any kind.....just think of the possibilities! mint! peanut butter! oh my.
Let the ice cream sit out and soften so you can scoop it out easily and spread it evenly over the crust.
Add a few giant scoops and smooth over the crust.

Here is what I've found when adding the hot fudge: 
you add the hot fudge right after you make it--so it's still pretty hot. 
-If you spread your ice cream over the crust, and then let it freeze and firm up, and THEN add the hot fudge, all the hot fudge will stay on top. 
-If you add your hot fudge to the ice cream when it is still soft a lot of it will sink down below the ice cream. (I did it this way and it was wonderful.)
It's up to you.
I topped ours with toasted pecans.
After you add your hot fudge, return it to the freezer for a few hours and let everything set up. 

Now get rid of it before you eat it all.

6 comments:

La said...

Sheena! My family has ice cream pie all the time in the summer and in fact we are making it as our dessert for my wedding reception next weekend. A lighter version, if anyone wants: skip the hot fudge! (Though this hot fudge sounds divine and next time I am totally adding it.) Just add more ice cream and sprinkle some of your crushed cookies from the crust on top, add a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate syrup if you'd like, and you are good to go. We like peanut butter swirl, coffee chocolate chip, and mint chocolate chip ice cream flavors best. :-)

Amber said...

You're killing me with that recipe... but you did warn me, however I am a rebel (without a cause). Took the survey! Wish I remembered to take it sooner. BTW your blog is awesome, there isn't much I'd have you change.

Anonymous said...

wow. i'd have to sprint for an entire afternoon eating one slice of that pie! i feel full just looking at it! that looks so delicious! i already took the survey but i agree with amber- you're blog is already pretty awesome all on its own, i wouldn't ask you to change anything.

in dreams said...

i'm having a 1/2 birthday party, and i may just have to make this as my cake for it! (i was planning on making an ice cream cake anyway...so i have an excuse, haha!)

MyFudo™ said...

I love to be tempted...
;) Wow! This is truly irresistible!

Cathleen said...

Oh my goodness. It's like I died and went to dessert heaven. This looks delicious! It would definitely tempt me in my freezer