Tuesday, June 19, 2012

strawberry jam with honey

Do you make jam? 
If not......you should start.......this week. 
It really is the EASIEST thing you can make at home, I promise. 
promise. 
Get yourself some berries, some jars, and some pectin and you are set. 

I was so excited to finally find pectin that you can use honey with instead of sugar. 
(I found Ball No-sugar needed at the grocery store.)
Before this I used cane sugar, so it was a bit less processed than regular old white sugar, 
but I loved the idea of using honey. 
.
Depending on what pectin you use, amounts may vary, but here is what I used:
for every 2 cups of fruit you'll need 1 1/2 TBS of pectin and up to 1/2cup of honey.
follow the simple instructions on your pectin and you will have jam in no time.

I have a question for YOU though. 
I love raw honey, not only for it's flavor but also for all of the nutrients it provides.....but when you make jam and it cooks--even though it's only a few minutes, all those honey nutrients are cooked out.
Have you used honey in an uncooked jam? What pectin are you using?
teach me, please.
.....
....now I just need some homemade bread. 

peach jam here




7 comments:

foryahsglory said...

Your photos are awesome. And that jam looks so mmm... I wish I could foodograph half as good as you. :)

sincerely, liz said...

Thank you for this recipe! I made freezer jam this past year, so no cooking required... But not with honey. What if you could find a recipe that called for maple syrup or stevia instead? I might try that... Freezer jam with stevia. Yum!

Hays said...

i love the idea of using honey!!

this year i used the instant pectin. the jam is seriously amazing and only calls for a little cane sugar. also - no cooking. so easy GM practically did it herself.

Lillian said...

I'm 97.2% sure that you'd be able to use honey with the Ball instant pectin. I think you'd probably need to cut back a bit on liquid by pouring some off of the crushed berries since it calls for granulated suger, but I bet with a few test batches you could easily make it work! (I love the smaller packets or the container that lets you scoop it out for smaller batches of different fruit.)

A FANCY DAY said...

I've been waiting for a how to make jam post! I can't wait to try this, thanks so much for sharing!

Marina said...

Jam and honey, what a lovely idea! Can't help you on pectin, I don't use it, I believe in natural taste of food... :)

Kelsey said...

these photos are so cozy! love the light, sheena!