Sunday, June 10, 2012

remember that time my husband went to south africa?

Well.....I survived the whole wisdom teeth ordeal......so far.
oy. 
This really is no fun at all, is it?
(except for all the ice cream....that part isn't bad, I won't lie)

I've been sitting around halfway delirious and mostly drunk from pain meds, and decided to finally go through all of Robby's photos from his trip to Africa.
He got to go last month for the end of his school program.....it was a required class...not bad, right?

I thought I'd share a few of the photos he took--I love them all, and it was so hard to choose which photos to post. I especially love the photos of all the people.
It really makes me look around and realize we all have waaaay too much stuff.
Stuff everywhere. Why can't we live more simply?
Robby talks about how happy everyone he met was.
Happy and kind, and yet they lived in shacks with dirt floors, and hand me down clothing.
why can't we all be more content?
....something to think about.


all photos taken by Rob Jibson
in Capetown South Africa, Soweto South Africa, Johannesburg South Africa, Pilanesberg South Africa, Gansbaai South Africa, Victoria Falls Zambia, Chobe National Park Botswana
note: all photos were taken with a 50mm lens--no telephoto so those animals were close!
sa4 copysa15 copysa11 copysa1 copysa26 copysa25 copysa24 copysa23 copysa22 copysa21 copysa20 copysa19 copy
below is my absolute favorite! so happy and pretty
sa18 copysa17 copysa16 copysa5 copysa10 copysa7 copysa29 copysa30 copysa31 copysa28 copysa27 copysa3 copysa6 copysa2 copysa12 copysa13 copysa8 copysa14 copy
the end.

20 comments:

Kasey said...

All of these places were in my brother's mission! He was there during Apartheid (93-95). It was both frightening and amazing. He loves, loves, loves the South African people. Sounds like Robby had an amazing trip.

Courtney said...

Gorgeous pictures! Your hubby has some of your talent.

Migle said...

the globalization is supposed to make the world tighter and more unified, but the reality is that most often we simply shut ourselves from everything that seems inconvenient and keep on pretending that it doesn't exist. In that case every chance to see how simple and happy life can be without any sophistication is more valuable than everything else in this world. Just like to see those African people genuinely smiling in front of their shacks.
Besides, very beautiful pictures! Perfectly expressing the mood!

The Rowley's said...

So so so so so jealous! These pics are incredible... I LOVE the ones of the people. Amazing!

Elizabeth said...

Loveee these pictures.

melissa said...

amazing! you know what was missing from my last patio party? FIRE LIMBO. ok, next time.

i love that one you love too--with the baby in that blanket! beautiful.

Sarah Beth said...

Those are amazing. Rob's got some serious talent.

Elise said...

my husband and I spent two months in Africa serving at different orphanages and non-profits. This looks very similar to our experience. The kind faces, some times not trusting, but always loving. All things are carried on the womens heads, and babies were wrapped up in blankets or towels and strapped on their backs.

I love africa!

Lisset said...

Ryan spent two summers in a row in South Africa and although those summers passed about ten years ago, he still talks about his experiences there all the time. I didn't know him before he went, but I trust that those summers altered him. I can't wait for him to take me there one day. Beautiful pictures!

becca said...

good gracious, I'm so jealous.
thanks for all of this beauty! I hope you feel better.

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

Robby took some good pictures... how much editing did you do?

Laura said...

Incredible photography. Thanks for sharing!

ButterandBuntings said...

Thankyou thankyou thankyou for this post! I come from South Africa, lived there half my life! I have bot been back in a very long time and seeing these pics just makes me so proud of where I come from! I think I could look at these photos all day and feel a little like i'm back at home! Thankyou!

Clandestine Road said...

That woman is so beautiful. What a great picture. Well, they all are, actually. Cool trip.

Nicole said...

these are breathtaking. truly, thank you for sharing :)

Unknown said...

these are the most amazing photos ever. brovo to your husband on taking these photos.

please tell me you are planning on getting your etsy shop up and want to sell some of these??? i want one...

Rachelle said...

amazing!!

kelly goes to germany next week. i get to stay home. fun for me! weee! :)

Mardle Made said...

Wow, these photos are stunning.

xx

www.mardlemade.com

Anonymous said...

wow. those are great photos. what a phenomenal trip that must have been!

CLAENING said...

The shocking article is very well written