Sunday, May 6, 2012

over the weekend.....

This was the best weekend ever in the history of the world.

"but how can a weekend be so fabulous?", you ask?
let me tell you.

where to start.......
Friday the kids had a birthday party, which meant a quick date for us--we hit up sushi. 
mmmm....
We then fell asleep at 9:30. 
on a friday night. 
go us.
soccer all saturday morning for the kiddos.
yard work....mowing. clipping.trimming.dog-poo-picking-up. the usual.
an aaaaamazing trail run for myself with some nice elevation gain, lots of sunshine, little mud.
sunday was quiet with church, a nap, and a drive all the way to the tip top of a mountain where spring has not yet sprung.

so what made this weekend the best?
well.....
Robby has been gone the past two weeks. 
He's been in South Africa. 
WHAT?!! I know. 
Two weeks! Africa!!

In almost 10 years of marriage we have never been apart for that long. 
It was the WORST. 
I might have thought I was going to die, but I might also be dramatic.
The days were longer than normal, the nights stretched on forever. 

But somehow, I made it through. 
His return Friday was the best day of my life, and we have been inseparable since.
It was a good reminder that even the simplest of activities (even picking up dog poo) are more enjoyable when you are with your favorite people.

here are a few photos from our little sunday drive. 
we are currently going through 40 billion photos he took in Africa, and we will get those up soon.
sping canyon copyspringcanyon2 copyspringcanyon3 copy
and because I have been depriving you all of food these past few weeks, here is a salad I am curretnly obsessed with.
beet goat cheese salad copy
Spring Salad

-mixed greens of your choice
-roasted beets (sliced, tossed in olive oil, and roasted at 425° until fork tender)
-grilled asparagus (tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper, and grilled for a few minutes)
-toasted pecans
-crumbled goat cheese
this salad is a perfect lunch, we've also added grilled chicken (with a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper) and made a dinner out of it.

toss in a simple balsamic vinaigrette.....I don't usually measure ingredients when I'm making a dressing (sorry!), but this is a really easy combo of 
-balsamic vinegar 
-olive oil
-honey
-dijon mustard
all mixed together and tossed with salad

enjoy!

How was your weekend?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what took the hubs to Africa? I hope you share some amazing photos with us. I think it's sweet that having him home made the weekend the best!

Unknown said...

ahhh seriously this is why this is my favorite blog. reminds me that the simple things are truly the best.

my husbands been gone day and night too-but comes home for a healthy home cooked meal, then heads back to work/training. ive highly enjoyed my time with my girls but seriously having a husband to talk to about little things and see every once in a while is the best ever. yay for cheesy good ol fashion love!!

ps this salad i am trying stat. looks delicious even at 10:26pm.

Unknown said...

and africa!! what the? pictures please!!

Tyler and Ariana said...

Two weeks is FOOOOOOOOREVER when it is time without your favorite person in the world. Yay for coming home!
-Ariana

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

You had surgery so technically you came close to dying.

But thanks for not. We can hang out again sometime, even if Robby is in the United States...

melissa said...

blog husbands are such enigmas. we hear a little about them, know their names and what they look like (and that they have good taste in wives) but not the details-- like why the heck they go to south africa.

Anonymous said...

My weekend was great as well - it was sunny here in Germany so I took my camera and went out to shoot for this week's blog posts..oh and I made a big buffet with fingerfood and so on for lunch time-it was wonderful!
You can take a look at my blog here:

http://rosenlunde.blogspot.de/

summer said...

2 weeks!! you totally have permission to be dramatic. so happy you are together again! :)

and, your salad looks exciting. mmm pecans and asparagus!