Thursday, May 24, 2012

friday senses

first pick
. 
Harvesting: arugula. herbs. baby radishes to make room for the big guys.
 Running: I recently headed into a new web of trails. twisty turny, roller coaster-y, tree covered fun. 
Yoga-ing: lately I am really loving half moon.
Anticipating: a long weekend. grilling. hiking. mountains. yay.
Seeing: thunderstorms in the forecast. I love a good thunderstorm.....
Crying Over: My baby finished preschool this week......why do they just keep growing?
. 
Hearing: crickets. windows open all night. love it.
Craving: summer tomatoes. with mozzarella. and basil. There are at least 10 green tomatoes on the vine and they cannot possibly ripen fast enough.
Wanting to Make: my own mozzarella. have you done this? I hear it's not too hard....
Grilling: Everything. We recently made a new favorite.....grilled broccoli. Drizzle a few (large) pieces with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill, turning once sides start to blacken.
mmmm.....
.
Learning About: chia seeds. such powerful little guys......adding them to lots lately.
Missing: Zion. Needing to get back there. Soon.
Eating: Grilled Beets. Goat Cheese. Cilantro Lime Quinoa. 
Golden beets taste just like their purply red cousins, but if you stay away from beets for the mess, try these--prep and cleanup is much easier. 
.
Grilled Beets with Goat Cheese and Cilantro Quinoa
I love quinoa because you can really mix it with anything and it's tasty, easy, and filling. It can be worked into a main dish, or a nice little side like this one here. I will do a full quinoa post soon, but for some more ideas and cooking tips try here.

you'll need:
-3-4 beets, sliced and grilled. 
to grill, toss in olive oil and place on heated grill. grill (medium low heat) 8-10 minutes on each side, or until fork tender. 
-goat cheese (put a bit of cheese on beet slice the last few minutes of grilling)
-cooked quinoa (I used about two cups)
toss with quinoa:
-large handful of chopped cilantro
-small handful of chopped chives
-juice of one lime
-salt and pepper
top with grilled beets 
.
enjoy.

feel free to play along with the senses in the comments or on your own blog. 

Happy Weekend!

12 comments:

Meg said...

do it! make the cheese, sheena! I think kasey has a good tutorial on her food blog, somewhere (meandmyapron.blogspot). Once you do mozzerella, you'll be a cheddaring and waxing crazy like us! We got our cheese ON, tonight, and holy cow. Homemade cheddar is sharp and buttery delicious and not waxy like the storebought stuff. AND I know exactly what went into it, so no surprises there. So good and so cheap and well..making your own cheese makes you super cool. just sayin'.

Elise said...

I have seen a few tutorials on homemade mozzarella, if anyone can do it..you can do it!

I have some "senses" on my blog today!
http://ourdearestfamily.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-senses_25.html

Ashley said...

That last photo is absolutely gorgeous. I love the light!

Kassidi Bridge said...

Yum yum yum. Everything looks and sounds so fresh and delicious!!

The Webbs said...

ahh all of this makes me hungry! also- is chia seed the same as chia tea? that stuff is amazing (until i figured out its packed full of caffeine-oops!!) anyway details about that-always love to mix seeds into anything i make.

please enjoy that cool air for me! this sun is killin me.

mjcoulter said...

Yum! Beets are my absolute favorite, so I'll definitely have to try this. Soon! And I love that picture of your girl swinging. So sweet!

keishua said...

those beets look tasty!

Laura said...

How DO you get some incredible food shots? I am always in love. And it was my son's last day of preschool yesterday...kinda crazy!

Laura said...

SUCH incredible food shots. Forgive my sorry misprint. :)

tutusandtea said...

This looks absolutely mouthwatering!! I love quinoa and I"m experimenting more and more with it...as an oatmeal substitute for breakfast, a meat substitute for burgers...and a fabulous side dish or entree staple.. DId you know quinoa isn't actually a grain but rather a seed? I thought that was interesting to know...thanks for this great recipe!

Meatballs & Milkshakes said...

These look so incredible and healthy! Can't wait to try it out!

-Lisa said...

Hi,
I made this dish (the beets, with quinoa and goat cheese) for a bbq we had last weekend and it was a huge hit-even with the 'big' men! It was my first time having beets myself and it was wonderful. I am actually making another beet dish tonight!
This recipe didn't even need any tweaking, it was perfect as you shared it.
Thanks!
Fondly-Lisa