Monday, April 30, 2012

dear may

note: this is the most random assortment of photos....whoops

dear.........may?!! What?? Where did April go?

Dear May,
hello. Nice to see you again. You bring so many wonderful things.
(hopefully) something smallish from the garden.
spring in the mountains....more open trails!
maybe camping....please?
closer and closer to summer each day. 
yay, may.

Dear April,
WHAT HAPPENED? Where did the time go? I really don't remember. I'm sorry.
There was the boy's birthday, easter, moab.....you just passed too quickly.

Dear Our Giant Tree,
the last few weeks have been so fun watching you change.
bare. blossoms. full green leaves. thank you for your shade.
springtree
Dear Appendix (or as my girl calls it, "independex")
what was that all about? Seriously you are the WORST. I will not miss you.

Dear Tomatoes,
I should be able to get you in the ground this month.....hooray!! I look forward to hanging out.

Dear Trail Running (Addiction?),
you are all I think about! Must. have. more. trails.
Running this and this (please read the description of that last one.....thrilling!)
Who wants to join me?

Dear Camping,
when will you happen? I need some fresh mountainy air.......right now.

Dear S'mores,
I'll see you soon too (see above)

Dear Grilled Asparagus,
you are my favorite right now.

Dear Shadow Puppets,
you really are a good time for all.
even better when the animals "attack the world"
shadow puppet copy
Dear 7 year old,
Every year I ask the same thing.....how?
I love you.
Your shaggy hair. Missing teeth. Curious mind.
lego cake copy
Dear Attempt at a Lego Cake,
fail.
frosting marshmallows is maybe the most impossible thing,
ever.
But he loved it.....so oh well I guess.

Dear Charly,
you are THREE now!!
and you are actually turning out to be quite the dog.....
....until someone comes over and you tackle them and lick them to death.

Dear Future Guests,
watch out for our dog,
she is still crazy.

Dear Chocolate Pudding,
you really know how to cheer a girl up.
chocolate pudding copy
Chocolate and Coconut Pudding
serves 4
1/2 cup sugar 
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder 
2 TBS cornstarch 
1/8 tsp salt 
1 1/3 cups milk
2/3 cup coconut milk (small can is 2/3 cup. I'm pretty sure if you swapped out ALL the milk for coconut milk, it would be awesome, but I just had a small can.)
 2 egg yolks (slightly beaten) 
2 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped 
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 

Mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Slowly mix in milk and coconut milk. Cook over medium heat (continue stirring), until mixture comes to boil. Boil for one minute (still stirring) Slowly stir half the mixture into the egg yolks, and then back into the saucepan on the stove. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add in chopped chocolate and vanilla extract. Pour into bowls and  cover (unless you are one of those people who like the "skin", cough, mom) and put pudding in the refrigerator for at least one hour. 

Top with toasted coconut and enjoy!

Dear YOU, 
what have you been up to? 

sincerely yours/love/until next time

me.

15 comments:

Jo said...

sounds like you are returning to normality after your 'medical intervention' ~ nice to see you back! x

cookbooknic said...

What a gorgeous post. I love your writing style. Very positive. I'm watching my giant tree changing to orange on the other side of the world!

Natalie. said...

You mean, "Dear January," silly girl. How could it possibly be MAY?!

Ashley said...

Absolutely loved this post! Thanks for catching up up! :) That little boy of yours is completely adorable. The cake also rocks! I'm hoping to do some planting today and hoping it's not too late here in CO. Happy May!

kassidi bridge said...

Yay you're back! So sorry to hear about your "independex." Yuck. Love this post, and that tree in your yard (SO pretty.)

EM {Pushups with Polish} said...

ohhh not pudding! i guess i know what i'm doing today instead of my school work LOL! thanks girl :) xxo

Deanne* said...

Every little paragraph of May Day just made me smile more!Especially the smells and sounds that come with gardens and camping ! Oh, and the pudding? Can't wait to make it. :) have a Wonderful May Day !!

Unknown said...

This is oozing with adorableness. The Lego Cake is the best and I'll bet he'll always remember it...fondly!

Courtney said...

Love when you write letters! Ok how did you know that pudding is my all time favorite thing in the world? Thanks Sheena can't wait to make this.

melissa said...

talk about not letting something tiny like appendicitis slow you down! i can't believe you're already back on your feet. (at that race is so soon!) atta recovery.

ps big shade trees are the #1 perk of living in crazy old houses don't you think?

Brittany said...

i love your letters to...whatever. they're all adorable. :)

Ashlae said...

You're right - the Wahsatch Steeplechase race sounds absolutely thrilling. If I lived closer, I'd certainly be running it. Then again, flights from Denver to SLC aren't that expensive. GAH! 9,000 feet over 17 miles is awfully tempting..

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE ALREADY BACK ON YOUR FEET! You go, girl.

kylie said...

i couldn't agree more - i need some dang camping in my life. STAT.

Roberta said...

Cute post, cute kid, cute cake!!

Unknown said...

That sounds like a cure all recipe for sheer bliss... Thank you so much for sharing, I will absolutely be trying this out!