Monday, January 23, 2012

a winter favorite

Brussels Sprouts. 
a favorite? 
really?
yes!
Teeny green adorable members of the cabbage family. They tend to be one of the more snubbed veggies out there in veggieland, but only because you've been eating them wrong.....these are a big time favorite around here--even with my kids! We eat them often in the winter months--they are very versatile and and contain a healthy dose of fiber, and more than your days worth of vitamin C and K in one serving (about 6 sprouts).

While I was doing a little research, I learned that boiling them was a popular way of preparing them. May I offer up a suggestion? please?
STOP BOILNG YOUR BRUSSELS. 
I would like to take out a public service announcement that says this. 

Boiling does nothing for their flavor, it decreases nutritional benefits, and it turns them into a bowl of mush......no wonder people don't like them. If you leave this post with anything, please remember,
 no boiling.

So how should you be preparing them? Let's talk about it.

First. You need to admire them.....they really are different. Layer upon layer of green--and have you seen them grow? They grow on a tall stalk.....appearing to be a bit alien-ish....I love it.
 Has anyone grown these? How did it go? 
It's something I would like to try out in the first cool months of spring.
brussels1 copy
Ok so you've admired them. 
Now wash them. 

Cut off what's left of the stem--this is bitter and you don't want to eat it. It also allows you to easily peel off any of the outer leaves that may be discolored.
brussels2 copy
A tasty way to eat them, is roasted!
You can roast them whole, or cut them in half. 
I like to half them so they are a bit easier to eat, and they roast faster. 

Roasted Brussels Sprouts:
 Toss halved sprouts with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 400° for about 30 minutes until outsides are crispy......the outside crispy leaves are the BEST. 
I usually add another sprinkle of salt when they come out of the oven and they are delicious! 

But from here you can add anything. 
A squeeze of lemon. 
A splash of balsamic vinegar. 
A sprinkle of parmesan cheese. 
Anything goes. 

Or add them to something......
brussels5 copy

Wild Rice Pilaf with Brussels Sprouts and Pecans
ok ok maybe the bold title made you think this was a "recipe" but it's just an idea of flavors together--use whatever amounts you like. 
you'll need:
-wild rice mix (cooked in chicken or veggie stock)
-saute' some leeks in a few TBS of butter, after they are soft add a handful of chopped pecans. cook until pecans are fragrant. 
-roasted brussels sprouts (see above)

mix rice, leek and pecan mixture, and brussels for a tasty and filling side dish.

*** 

The quickest way I have found to cook them is right on the stove top--and again the possibilities of what gets mixed in is endless. 

After you have washed them and removed the stems (above), slice them thinly. 
They will fall apart and begin to shred on their own. 
brussels3 copy
Now we are going to make my favorite.....
brussels6 copy
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Avocado, and Lime
1lb brussels sprouts
2 slices bacon (If you are a bacon LOVER, you may want to add a slice or two more....I think this is just enough.)
1 garlic clove, minced
juice of 1 lime
1 avocado, sliced
a pinch of crushed red pepper (optional)
olive oil
salt and pepper

While you are slicing your brussels, cook the bacon until crispy in a large skillet.
Remove from pan.
Add a little olive oil to the pan (depending on how much bacon drippings were left over), and add your shredded brussels, garlic, and crushed red pepper.
Cook for just a few minutes on medium heat, until brussels start to get tender.
Mix in lime juice and crumble bacon into the sprouts. s&p to taste.
Scoot your sprouts over to the side of the pan, and add avocado slices--just to quickly warm each side. You don't really want to stir them around into the sprouts or they will mash right in. 
When they are heated through, mix everything together and enjoy!

How do YOU eat brussels sprouts?


and there is more!
I added brussels sprouts to my salad here
Giada's mix of roasted winter veggies (here) looks delicious and easy
I am itching to try this brussels and pear combo (here)

I've had quite few requests for beets.....I'm on it! 

57 comments:

Marina Lind Schmitt said...

We roast our brussel sprouts, and I used to not care for them, but they are growing on me. Slowly.

Kaitlyn Luce said...

I've never ever eaten brussels sprouts in my life. How crazy is that, right? My mom has always said she doesn't like them, so she doesn't make them. I'm tempted to try one of these out and see how we all feel about it afterward. :-)

Tara said...

Mmm that dish with the bacon, avocado and lime looks good. I love roasted brussels sprouts. I eat those things like candy.

Unknown said...

I am salivating....

Kenny said...

We get brussel sprouts in our CSA box and they are so fresh and tasty. Often, all we do is steam them and they are delicious! You just have to be sure not to oversteam or they will taste bitter.

Ashley said...

Looks like a good one for brussels. Anything with bacon is better:)

Meg said...

I ate steamed brussel sprouts growing up. Nastiness. I've never had them any other way, but that bacon,avocado and lime bidnezz? I'll eat that. Yum!

Joe said...

We shred them like that, pre-roast them a little, and put them on pizza.

Jill said...

i've been getting them in my bountiful basket and roasting them with garlic, evoo, s&p. seriously, so tasty!!!

Anonymous said...

We are big fans of Brussels Sprouts and I can't wait to try this avocado recipe! Mmm mm!

Erin said...

I thought I was the only one who loved brussel sprouts!! My favorite way to cook them is in a sautee pan with a little olive oil and a lot of minced garlic! But not I can't wait to try the roasted recipe you posted! Yummy!!

Olya said...

I love brussel sprouts and eat them almost every day. I cook them in a similar way, in cast iron pan on meduim-high heat with olive oil (so they cook really fast). Then add minced garlic, squeeze lemon juice and add salt/pepper. Sometimes sprinkle with parmesan when they are already in the bowl. Toasted pine nuts go well with them. And I often eat them with sunny side up eggs :)

Anonymous said...

I love mine sauteed with thick cut bacon, brown sugar and freshly ground pepper.

Snookycat said...

I eat Brussels sprouts any wayt they can be made -- they're my favorite veggie.

So much my fave,in fact, that I've tried three times to grow them in my garden. All three times, FAIL. They have to be started very early where I live (MN) to have even a chance of maturing. Then there's staking and bugs and pinching off and ... all three years, not a single edible sprout. I've made my peace; it's okay to go to the farmer's market, where I can buy them still on the stalk.

If you try growing them, please report back!

becca said...

ooh I'm so glad you highlighted these, because this winter I just discovered the amazing secret of roasted brussels!
such a difference. now we love them at our house!

colleen said...

Mmmmm brussel sprouts are my favourite (cooked)veggie I think, although I don't thiink there are really any I don't like. I'm definitely going to have to give these recipes a try. I also have wanted to give growing them a try...maybe if I can get on the ball this spring...

Melissa said...

OH my! Yum. Yum. Yum!

I found these recipes on Pinterest, and I am looking forward to trying each of them. I rediscovered Brussels Sprouts this fall and am in love with them. I usually just roast with olive oil and S&P, but the avocado recipe has me drooling.

Your blog is lovely. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Ang said...

i've only ever made brussel sprouts one way and i love 'em! i essentially pan fry them till caramelized and serve dusted with parmesan - i posted the recipe a while back on my blog: http://mondayswedance.blogspot.com/2010/12/ive-never-met-brussel-sprout-i-didnt.html

Hatsie Haley said...

Brussels sprouts with avocado sounds amazing! yum!

dinnerordessert said...

Brussels sprouts with bacon, avocado and lime?! Yes, please! I usually roast my brussels sprouts with a sprinkle of sugar, salt and pepper...

dust and kam said...

love brussels sprouts!

we grew them last year (in Utah) and they worked really well. We started them too late so they didn't get very big by the time the frost hit. (okay, so they do well with frost because we let them go quite a bit longer and they were still good!) They were really fun to grow. I read a lot about growing them. There was a lot of information and technique. In the end? We just let them grow and did not fuss about them at all. They still grew and tasted good!

But... start them early! I would start them inside 4-6 (or even 8) weeks before the last frost in the spring.

mummydinosaur said...

I recently changed from braised brussel sprouts ( with balsamic vinegar) to roasted sprouts with a drizzle of dijon mustard and cream sauce. Yum.

Katie said...

YUM! I've been looking for more brussels sprout recipes since I have a mondo bag. I normally roast mine with bacon, so I'm all for trying new recipes!

The Mickelsens said...

My husband was nervous about the lime and avocado but we made these last night after seeing the post, luckily we had everything. We couldn't get enough of it. Thanks!

The F Girl said...

I wok the sprouts quickly, with some oil and garlic. Or I put them into an oven dish, which is one of the childrens favourites: Brussel sprouts, paprika, crunchy bacon or smoked sausage (both is also an option), topped with some sliced potatoes, sprinkled with cheese. Oh yum. I think I know what to eat tomorrow.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you for the recipe. I pinned it this morning, made it tonight and I am completely in love. The avocado and bacon........pure delish! We usually roast the little nubs and drizzle a sweetened balsamic reduction on top, but we now have a new favorite. THANK YOU!!

The Childlike Empress said...

i recently learned just to eat them raw from my boyfriend, crack a bit of salt and pepper on them and they are great as a snack or appetiser!

Amanda said...

Sheena --- I was literally going to email you or summer about what to do with brussel sprouts since I don't really eat them and I read in Martha Stewart Living that they are SO good for you. My next trip to the store will include brussel sprouts!

Thank YOU!

Jennalyn said...

I actually GREW brussel sprouts this summer in my teeny backyard garden. I started them a little late in the season so they weren't all that big when harvest time came, but they were delicious! Watch out for caterpillars though, they LOVED the big leaves.

Unknown said...

Hello Sheena, so very happy to have found your blog, your work is amazing! I love to eat brussels sprouts roasted with chestnuts, or over some farro with nuts, or straight from the skillet with good olive oil, walnuts and pomegranates or dried cranberries. But this recipes look scrumptuous, and I will surely make your favorite with avocado and baconn!

Lara said...

I wasn't a brussel sprouts fan until I tried this recipe! Roasted brussel sprouts are delicious!! I had some in my bountiful basket and was wondering what to do with them...and then I found this post. Thank you so much!! My husband hasn't ever had brussel sprouts, but now he is a fan. Thanks!!

BTW, can't wait to try the avocado recipe - yum!!

Kate said...

Brussels with bacon and avocado, oh my! Sounds amazing. My favorite is roasted Brussels and fresh cranberries with barley, Gorgonzola and toasted pecans (the recipe is on my blog, cookieandkate.com).

Amy said...

I made a brussel sprout pizza. Pretty much the same toppings you included only on a crust with parmesan cheese.

Unknown said...

It's 10 o'clock at night and I'm really tempted to get up and make these right now! I LOVE brussel sprouts that much!

sylvia said...

i just want to let you know that i have "hated" brussel sprouts all my life and now - thanks to your post - i'm in love. tried the bacon, lime and avocado recipe and it was SCRUMPTIOUS!!!

Lisa said...

This recipe is the absolute best recipe on the planet!! Thanks a ton. It is delish, and I can eat a whole pan by myself. So wonderfully scrum-didily- umptious!

Eileen said...

I live in the Midwest and grow Brussel Sprouts in the summer. They are super hardy plants, resistant to most bugs and funguses from what I've seen. We plan them early summer, but you can't harvest them until the fall. They're delicious from the garden!

Carly said...

I do something similar-ish to this. Cook bacon, remove, add brussel sprouts (sliced in half lengthwise) to pan, cook with garlic, salt and pepper, add a good splash of balsamic vinegar and some sliced up dried figs. It's sweet and savoury and little bitter. Wonderful.

Unknown said...

Looks tasty. I can't wait for fall to try it. Would it be ok to pin this to Pinterest?

sheena said...

@sarala:
absolutely!

sheena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You had me a bacon! :) I can't want to try these! Yummmm!

Dynomysus said...

I used to *hate* brussel sprouts, but people always boil them, which makes them incredibly bitter. YUCK! Roasting them caramelizes them and makes them faaaantastic! I'm so excited to try the pan roasting version. I'm just about to start your recipe!! Will report back!

Dynomysus said...

AH-MAZING.

Russell said...

That last shot is gorgeous! And such an incredible recipe.

Unknown said...

Parental demands are unachievable. Plain and simple. Someone, somewhere has made a horrible mistake. That's all there is to it. Buy watches

Anonymous said...

Brussels became my new favorite veggie this week after I roasted them for the first time. We like to roast with olive oil, salt, pepper and either savory or italian seasoning. after 30 minutes in the oven, toss them on to the grill to sear for a few minutes (perhaps with onions and peppers). So tasty!

Sonia Monagheddu said...

Hi, I’m Sonia, italian food blogger (and your 'fan') sorry for my bad english, I want tell you that I have included the link of this recipe (which I liked very much) in the section on my blog dedicated to “10 ways to make” (“10 Modi di Fare”) pilaf.
The post is ‘Riso pilaf’ I hope not to bother you, have a nice day.
Sonia

Heidi said...

What an awesome post!! THANK YOU!

Unknown said...

I know I'm VERY late to the party, but I'm in love with brussels sprouts. We roast them with salt pepper and olive oil quite often, but if we ever have the deep fryer out, I halve them and toss 'em in. No salt, no pepper. Just sprouts fried in peanut oil, and even my famously picky sister who won't go near a brussels sprout will eat them.

fastboy said...

wow, awesome
thank you

LaKat47 said...

I read this to find the brussels sprouts, bacon, avocado and lime recipe. I love the combination but would not serve it warm with avocado. I would cook the sprouts and bacon with garlic and cool it before adding the avocado. The lime I would add to a little mayo for a dressing and eat it as a salad. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Search 'Tin Roof Brussels Sprout Recipe'

You'll die. Seriously, soo good.

Teresa C said...

I made the Bacon, Avocado, Lime recipe. No need to twist my arm, I love brussels sprouts, grow them in my garden (when they take) and roast them often.

This recipe is delicious. I think the next time I make it I may add a little vinegar, somehow my brain kept trying to put it there on its own. Really, though. YUM!

View this site for Alaska Grizzly Bear Viewing Tours website said...

Yum, always looking for a new way to do brussel sprouts.


Diane@Cadieux et Langevin said...

Also to die for, add fennel wedges, carrots, and halved new potatoes to the Brussels sprouts. I haven’t done this with the lemon and parmesan, but there is no doubt in my mind that that would be fantabulous!

NIdhi said...

Today if someone asks me what you saw best then I would like to say that I saw your post best today and it is a very beautifully written post which I appreciate. And I also think that if you see someone's post and it is beautiful and well written, that should be appreciated.