Friday, January 27, 2012

speaking of.....

me and my tower of ruby snap
bday
Wow!
Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes this week!
I loved reading them all.....thank you!
I had a great day with my little family and we are all still full of our favorite pizza and cookies.

Speaking of full, we have been eating a lot of steel cut oats (I was never that in to them because they took so long to cook, and our mornings are crazy......and then I realized oh wait, I can cook them ahead of time and actually SAVE time in the morning......perfect!) Last time I toasted them in a little bit of coconut oil before cooking them, and then after they are cooked, topped them with almond milk, almonds, flax, unsweetened coconut, and bananas and WOW. New favorite for breakfast, pre-run, or post-yoga!
How to you eat your oats?

Speaking of almond milk, I am going to be making some soon, thanks to tips from Jen who is an expert. I will post about it and let you know how it goes!

Speaking of blog posts, blogging in the winter is hard! We have been eating some super yummy things, but when we are eating it.....it's dark! No photos to be taken. So let me paint you a picture of our dinner a few nights back....
whole wheat spaghetti tossed with:
-saute'd garlic (lots!), sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, capers, spinach
lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil and s&p
all topped with a yummy piece of salmon....mmmm
close your eyes, picture it beautiful, and make it!

and still speaking of blog posts, I LOVED all the feedback on Monday's brussels sprouts post!! Seriously go read the comments--there are enough ideas to have brussels sprouts every day for a month.

Speaking of comments, and back to my birthday post.....I had no idea so many of you girls were also crazy and got married at 19.....I love it! We should start a club.

Speaking of crazy.....how 'bout this weather? Seriously I know "The Weather" is the number one small talk topic, but I actually love talking about the weather. I check the weather several times a day, in several different locations, (nerd), and love seeing what's going on. Anyway, although it "snowed" a teeny tiny bit last week, we are still feeling like it's spring here! It's just crazy. Sunshine, sunshine and more sunshine. I can't wait to get out in it tomorrow.

Speaking of spring, I am getting so ancy for real spring.....aren't you? Last year was the first time I planted any cold weather veggies (radishes, carrots, lettuce), and this year I can't wait to do more. Just have to wait until March......what do you plant in the spring?

Speaking of lettuce, my lettuce took off last year! We had fresh salads (yes plural) every single day. I HATE having to buy lettuce in the stores now knowing how much we had. This year I'm going to try planting it like THIS. Space saving AND no weeding between rows....perfect.

Speaking of the fact that I just linked you to my Pinterest, are you on there? I love how organized it makes me feel, and I have been trying so many new recipes because if it.

Speaking of linking you more places, check out the new sponsors that will be coming in over the next few days (right side bar). I still have a few spots left....email me!

What are your plans for this weekend?
Have a happy one!




really super random notes for today:
-I get so many emails, and I LOVE them, but I don't always have time to respond (although I try!) I'm working on an FAQ page for common questions that come up, if you have something you'd like to be included, let me know!
-Did you know I'm on facebook? It's true.
-I MUST go to Yosemite. soon. watch THIS and you will want to go too.

14 comments:

The F Girl said...

Brrr, here they have predicted the weather to turn cold, really cold. And even though the little ones would love some ice skating fun, somehow I was done and over with the whole winter thing and totally embracing the thought of spring :) (Yeah, I like to talk about the weather too ;-))

This weekend we are going to do some more celebrating my sons birthday and a night with friends, boardgames and fun. It's going to be a lovely weekend.

I wish you a wonderful weekend too!

Laura said...

You're so beautiful. :)

Hayley said...

thinking about spring gardening myself.

i can't freaking wait.

nothing is holding me back this year (like being in a rental) i regretted not doing a garden all of 2011. this year, it's on!

Kimberly June said...

Hope your b-day was amazing. I make steel cut oats then portion them out in cupcake pans to freeze. Remove them (warm water) and store them individually to take with me to work. A squirt of honey and wallah! Easy, peasy, and such a better texture than regular oats.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!!

Alexandra said...

May I say that the daughter of Ruby Snap reads your blog? Happy Birthday! There will be new and exciting adventures ahead. I too, love Josephine.

Unknown said...

happy happy belated birthday to you! you look very beautiful in picture above! i might have commented and already said happy birthday-but who knows its been pretty crazy around here too..

wish i loved my oats cooked-i prefer them in granola or toasted on top of ice cream with nuts. ill be sure to grab a handful of granola before my run tomorrow. a 10k is all this lady can do 2 months after having a baby. im always grateful you post early enough for me to read during my first feeding for the little ms.
also married at 19, boy were we SO mature. and i also am in love with your pinterest-keeps me day dreaming of lovely places, pretty pictures and chocolate cake.
happy early weekend and a happy happy birthday week to you!

abi porter said...

your hair is SO long! and gorgeous.

Lillie said...

OH my gosh WHEN did your hair grow a foot? I remember your "pony tail atop my head" post-- I totally felt the same. and yet mine is still struggling past my shoulders. So jealous.

Lula. said...

Whoa. Lettuce in rain gutters? That is truly amazing, I'm going to have to try that.

Jennybenny said...

If you have a rice cooker you can make your steal cut oats in it! You won't have to watch a pot or worry about over cooking them- and you can get ready while it cooks! Add some dried fruit too and it will plump up by the time the oats are done! Yummy!

austin-sara.blogspot.com said...

I am LOVING your long hair...gorgeous!!

kylie said...

you are so gorgeous! happiest of birthdays. i know yours was great. that makes me glad.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and am loving all your recipes! I also love your hair and wondered how you work with your curls? My hair is growing out [still above my shoulders] and is similar in texture. I was curious to know your drying and styling process. I hope that isn't a weird question! :)