Tuesday, October 5, 2010

browned butter cupcakes with chocolate buttercream

browned butter again?!! I know! I can't get enough....but the flavor is so warm and perfect....and just what fall calls for.
browned butter cupcakes with chocolate buttercream

Browned Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
(this recipe also halves perfectly for 12 cupcakes)

2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup  milk
3/4 cup  browned butter*
1 tsp vanilla ( I like mexican vanilla in these:)
2-1/2 cups  all-purpose flour
2-1/4 tsp baking powder


*To brown butter:
Heat pan on medium heat.
Cut butter in to pieces and melt in pan.
Stir continuously. Butter will foam up.
After foam subsides, small brown flecks will start to appear in bottom of pan.
Continue stirring, until butter has reached a nice brown color, and nutty aroma.
When you want to lick the spoon, you know it's ready.
Turn the heat all the way down.



Preheat oven to 350°
Prepare cupcake pans with liners.
Beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about a minute.
Add  milk, browned butter, and vanilla, stirring just until combined.
Add flour and baking powder, beating until well mixed--about a minute. Don't over mix.

Bake in preheated oven for 18-22 minutes, until tops are springy to the touch or a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean.
Remove from cupcake pan and allow to cool completely before frosting.

Chocolate Buttercream
5oz good quality semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
8 TBS butter, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
2TBS baking cocoa
4-8 TBS milk

Melt chocolate in a double boiler and allow to cool to room temperature.
Beat in butter until creamy.
Add powdered sugar and baking cocoa.
Slowly beat in milk 1TBS at a time until you reach desired consistency.

enjoy!

15 comments:

Kasey said...

YUM!

Ashley said...

Ohhhhhhh my word. These sound amazing!!! I have never heard of such a thing and nothing is better than browned butter. Absolutely love the photo. YUM. <3

Hannah said...

Sheena! These are killing me! Yum! Your photography!

I need to book another session with you soon. We have 0 family pictures since having our youngest 9 months ago. I think it is about time.

Cherish Stockdale said...

these look SOOO good!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

These are so beautiful I cannot stop looking at them. :D

mommyholly said...

OK, this is making me WAY too hungry. :) I need a cupcakes. And yummm for the browned butter, I love it! xoxox Holly

Clandestine Road said...

That looks so amazing. I made the browned butter brownies and nearly wept. They are incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Angela

Hayley said...

bookmarking for little roo's first birthday so i'm totally trusting you. yum, thanks sheena.

Bri {collected} said...

So I tried to make your chocolate cake with browned butter frosting. Buuut, I poured too much into my cake pans, spilling it everywhere while baking and then burning it on the bottom of the oven. Ooops! That's what happens when you rush! So I'll have to try again soon and report back on it's deliciousness!

austin-sara.blogspot.com said...

yum yum yum!!

Anonymous said...

I only discovered the amazing wonderment that is browned butter recently. How have I missed out on this all my life?! Gah!

These cupcakes must be amaaazing.

Angharad said...

I'm making these right now...thought you should know :)

Megan said...

I made these yesterday when I was snowed into my apartment. So awesome!

Jackie said...

Hi

What size cake pans did you use for this recipe.

lisak_87 said...

I just pulled the cakes out of the oven! (I made 2 9-inch cakes baked for about 30 minutes).

My whole house smells like brown butter! I did add just a pinch of salt to the batter...

I made a double batch of frosting, but it killed my hand mixer 2 cups into the powdered sugar! lol. The boyfriend is out getting me a new one ...my hero.

I may not add all of the sugar to the frosting...it's very delicious and rich! I used ghiradelli chocolate!