Tuesday, January 19, 2010

progress....

The couch and chair are GONE! I now have money to play with.
$800 (and considering we bought them for $1200 5 long years ago.....not too shabby)

Moving on with our plan.

My taste in tables was much too expensive for our budget....so that's when we improvise.
So we headed out to look at wood (I love the smell of wood)
I braved death by riding in the back, holding on to our precious sweet smelling wood so it wouldn't slide out where the door couldn't quite close.
We sanded down our old kitchen table and are going to [attempt to] build a new table top for it. Anyone know how to age wood?? I know how to beat it up and distress it.....but still haven't found a good way to give it that amazing faded grey color......suggestions??

My house is covered top to bottom in dust, and my hands in splinters.

all worth it.


*this post is brought to you by:
my mop
our new (ahem, referbished--we got a steal!) dyson animal that we bought ourselves for our Christmas present, because we are boring like that.
cafe rio. I'm sure we will be there quite often over the next little while, and we are not complaining.

11 comments:

Heather said...

I'm not sure what look you're going for, but maybe you could white-wash it. I've never done it before but I think it makes it look old. I know it has something to do with watering down white paint of something. Apparently there's another technique called Lime Wash...not sure exactly what it does but it sounds cool. Good luck!

Meg said...

Sounds like fun! I saw this link the other day and thought of you and your table dreams... http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/2009/11/plan-modern-farmhouse-table-knock-off.html#more. Good luck with your building!

camandholls said...

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. I'm so excited to see the finished product. Oh yeah, and while you're at it will you make one for me too? :)

banananutmeg said...

whatever you end up doing...laquer the heck out of it so it is waterproof and stain proof. How sad would it be to peel a pomegranate at the table and be left with a big red stain after. And if you're doing a plank style table, you don't want bitty bits of food/moisture getting between the planks and causing rot.
I can't wait to see and I am VERY inspired! I want a big ugly old table!!! And I want a different style chair at every place setting. Gonna work on that first.

kaysi van dyke fox said...

FUNN!!!!! i am excited to see what it turns out like!

Shannon said...

Ooh good job with selling the old couches. I'm impressed you got that much for them. I am even more impressed that you are going to build your own kitchen table. Holy smokes that's a big project. I'm sure it will turn out even more fabulous than the ones you picked out online. Can't wait to see the finished product. Also, thanks for making me crave Cafe Rio at almost 11pm. :)

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to see what happens next. :D

Anonymous said...

are you thinking of glaze? That helps give an aged look.

Brandon Bridge said...

Can't wait to see the finished project!

melissa said...

did you see the table designmom built? (with photographic instructions?) it was really cool.

gram said...

.. you should ask your bro-in-law how to distress your table top.. what are the little grands using for their trampoline now that your furniture is gone?